Dr. Jeremiah Johnston and Dr. Sean McDowell practice sharing their evidence for the validity of Christianity surrounding its central tenet, the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Dr. Johnston shares these power tips for showcasing the truth of the bodily resurrection of Jesus:
- The resurrection of Jesus is the only way we ultimately make sense of the suffering in our lives.
- He foretold it in Mark 8:31, Mark 9:31 and Mark 10:33-34.
- He demonstrated resurrection power.
- It’s not what his Jewish disciples anticipated.
- The written sources and archeological finds overwhelmingly support the Christian narratives.
- It is the only convincing explanation for the conversion of those who didn’t follow Jesus during his earthly ministry.
- It is the only convincing explanation for the fact that everywhere the Christian faith goes, culture is changed.
McDowell says his two-part advice for talking with unbelievers is first, ask questions, and secondly, listen. He says that both believers and unbelievers grapple with the problem of suffering.
“I think Christianity offers the answer to the problem of evil of any worldview,” McDowell says. “When we suffer, God hasn’t abandoned us. He hasn’t left us alone. When we believe that God is good, it s us transcend what we’re going through, even if He doesn’t give us the answers we want.”
Johnston advises a caller named David, who asks, “What are some good resources for people to look into to learn more about the Christian faith?”
In addition to reading supplementary materials, Johnston says that believers should read their Bible from cover to cover.
“There are answers to your questions and they are found in the Word of God,” Johnston says. “There is more evidence today to prove the claims of Christianity than at any other time in history. We are truly living in the golden age of the Christian faith. In I Peter 3:15, we’re told, ‘Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.’ That verse is for every single one of us.”
Dr. Sean McDowell is an apologist, extensive author, and an associate professor at Biola University. McDowell is a sought-after speaker who inspires Christians to share their faith, and seekers to examine the evidence for Christianity. In addition to his own scholarship, McDowell has written several books with his father, Josh McDowell.