What are the 7 evidences for why we believe Jesus Rose from the Dead?
What is the “Body of Proof?”
The Easter event overwhelmed the followers of Jesus to such an extent that it dominated their thought and became the very center of their preaching. Indeed, the message that Jesus himself had proclaimed was subordinated to the proclamation of his resurrection. Does the resurrection of Jesus dominate your Christian life? How can we grow in our appreciation and understanding of the physical, bodily resurrection of Jesus? I did my Ph.D. research on the physical, bodily resurrection of Jesus, which I defended in the United Kingdom in 2012. In 2015, my 90,000+ word thesis was published as an academic monograph with Bloomsbury T & T Clark.
What is the “Body of Proof”? Here are seven compelling reasons I believe Jesus rose from the dead (there are additional reasons, too!). Let me encourage you to watch and share the four videos linked in this email. Please note, in the video above, my message begins at the 13:47 mark.
1. The resurrection of Jesus is the only way we ultimately make sense of the suffering in our lives.
Romans 8:18, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”
2. Jesus foretold it – #OnTheThirdDay
Hosea 6:2 After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him.
Mark 8:31; Mark 9:31; Mark 10:33-34
1 Corinthians 15:4 … that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures
3. Jesus demonstrated
Mark 5:21-43: Jairus’ daughter.
Luke 7:11-17 Widow of Nain’s son.
John 11:1-44: Lazarus
4. Jesus’s bodily resurrection was not what his disciples (or any other Jews, for that matter) anticipated.
Peter said, “God forbid, Lord! This shall never happen to you” (Matt 16:22).
4Q285 (DSS) – Messiah kills the Roman emperor.
Luke 24:21, “We had hoped he was the messiah …”
5. The sources written and archeological overwhelmingly support the resurrection narrative embedded in the Gospels.
1 Corinthians 15:3-7 – no passage in the NT is taken more seriously by biblical scholars. Creed: Source material for this creed is the oldest in the New Testament.
6. It is the only convincing explanation for the conversion of those who did not follow Jesus during his ministry (Then he appeared to James).
“Is this not the carpenter? … And they took offense at him.” (Mark 6:3)
“Not even his brothers believed in him.” (John 7:5)
“He is out of His mind.” (Mark 3:21)
7. It is the only convincing explanation for the historical fact that everywhere the Christian faith goes and is embraced, culture is dramatically changed and made better.
Will you commit to living a resurrection-centric life?
He is Risen Indeed!
– Jeremiah J. Johnston, Ph.D.
Did you see our previous two Holy Week emails? For your convenience, here they are: